15 January 2008

Fireworks New Years Eve
9pm - Elder Park - South Australia

I thought it was worth it to do a brief mention of the fireworks put on by the Adelaide City Council for New Years Eve 2007.

As a parent who could not find a baby sitter for New Years it was great to be able to attend a family event with fireworks and children's entertainment on at 9pm instead of having to wait until midnight.

It was also great to see that despite the 40 degrees Celsius that it seemed that quite a few thousand people attended.

The first performance was by Peter Combe and the News Paper mama band, they were fairly good and did manage to keep the kids at bay - I guess my problem was that my children had no idea who Peter Combe was or what he sung, I grew up with 'Newspaper Mama' and thought that the idea of brushing your teeth with bubble gum was fantastic, but the kids under 12 really could not get into because they didn't know the words - maybe more support needs to be given to these Aussie guys who I think (don't quote me if I am wrong) have been around since before the Wiggles and other children's bands.

At 9pm about 15 minutes of fireworks erupted from pinky flat, these were really great and considering we don't seem to be getting a 'Sky Show' this year were about as entertaining as the kids are going to get for firework shows.

I do have one dig - did the rather pathetic pretend 'Kath and Kym' really have to talk the whole way through the fireworks. Yes "look at me Kym" is pretty much now apart of the Aussie lingo these days, but please next year just shut up and let everyone enjoy the fireworks.

I did not hang around for the midnight fireworks or the remaining performances which I believe was the party bands 'Chill' and 'Jam'. I did read in the paper that the fireworks were 10 minutes late - I guess I find that amusing, but very Adelaidian!!!!!

Lets hope that the Adelaide City Council continues these free family events for all of South Australia to enjoy!

No comments: